The MCDB faculty has overall responsibility for the quality and well-being of the major. Faculty members are drawn from across the university according to their interest and qualifications. New membership in the MCDB faculty is attained by vote of the existing membership.
Admission of New MCDB Faculty
Membership into the MCDB faculty is granted through election by the existing MCDB faculty. The term of membership is for five years and is renewable.
Membership into the MCDB faculty is restricted to those with graduate faculty status at ISU.
In considering a faculty member for membership in MCDB, each applicant's activities in the following areas will be examined:
- The applicant must exhibit a dedication to graduate education, show evidence of graduate education activity, and be judged to maintain high standards in graduate education.
- The applicant must be committed to the concept of interdisciplinary training and be willing to participate actively in the affairs of the MCDB program.
- The applicant must have an active, high quality, research program involving fundamental questions in MCDB.
The quality and appropriateness of the research program will be judged on the basis of the application packet materials submitted electronically.
Required Application Materials
- A complete curriculum vita
- A brief letter requesting faculty membership which includes:
- A statement of research interests that clearly details aspects related to MCDB.
- A willingness to serve as an active faculty member - voting, ability/willingness to accept potential rotations/grad students into your lab, willingness to serve on POS committees, and a willingness to engage with and participate in MCDB faculty committees.
- e-copies (PDF files) of no more than 5 publications produced during the last 5 years that are MCDB-related. It is recognized that investigators who are in the early stages of their research careers may not have as many as five publications
- The ability to obtain, or the prospects of obtaining, competitively awarded research support in the area of MCDB
Please email application materials to the MCDB Graduate Program at email@example.com for review by the current MCDB faculty membership.
A Membership Committee, designated by the chair in consultation with the MCDB Executive Committee, will review the credentials of the applicant. The committee will submit a recommendation to either approve or not approve the application, along with the complete application packet for vote by the current MCDB membership. Voting will take place electronically and each individual receiving a majority of the votes cast will be granted MCDB faculty membership